In North American English, a suburban area, or suburb, is a town or community located near a city which is mainly comprised of the homes of people who work in the city. My question is: what would the city's relationship to the suburb be called? Is there even a word for that?

  • The question in the title and the one in the body text are different. – KillingTime Feb 1 at 19:23
  • @KillingTime not really, it does sort of make sense depending on what one means by "opposite" – Aqualone Feb 1 at 19:25
  • "Urban" doesn't work? – Cascabel Feb 1 at 19:39
  • According to Wikipedia, a metropolis is a large city or conurbation which is a significant economic, political, and cultural center for a country or region, and an important hub for regional or international connections, commerce, and communications. (bolding mine). Hub: people move in and out along arterial roads. A 'market town' was probably the mediaeval equivalent in England. But 'opposite' is so ill-defined here that I need to CV. – Edwin Ashworth Feb 1 at 19:44
  • The city is, in relation to its suburbs, the “central city.” People “go into the city,” e.g., for opera, shopping, lunch, and the like. – Xanne Feb 1 at 22:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.