I’m in a community where theres a lot of people who share a milestone/achievement or difficult experience, that is almost always followed by someone who goes “yea well I achieved X”, so as to undermine(?) the other.

The urban dictionary definition of “one upper” is pretty much it but I'm looking for a more appropriate word

  • Do you mean like this guy? – tchrist Jan 25 at 2:39
  • Sure, that could be an example – marsh dub Jan 25 at 2:45
  • tchrist's link provides you with an answer: topper. – fev Jan 25 at 2:59

One-upping is the common phrase for putting down another's achievement.

The practice of One-upmanship is longstanding and much more subtle than just saying out loud what you did to top the other's victories. https://www.amazon.com/One-Upmanship-Stephen-Potter/dp/1258783339


Such a person is a

One-upman = A person who practises one-upmanship.

Oxford Lexico

Oneupmanship = a situation in which someone does or says something in order to prove that they are better than someone else

Cambridge Dictionary

I suspect that the term is more British, the alternative topper pertaining more to American usage. But I cannot substantiate this with Google ngram so hope others will comment.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.