Why is there no agreed definition for first generation immigrants and second generation? Is there a word for people of origins residing from a foreign country?

People who had ancestors from a different area start to forget their native culture and become accustom to their new culture.

I'm trying to find a word that replaces, " start to forget their native culture and become accustom to their new culture." Is there a better word?

  • Are you sure you only want single words? I think there is a controversy between "first-generation" and "second-generation immigrants", but these are the technical terms. Can you give a context where you would use that word? – fev Jan 15 at 11:18
  • @fev umm like second generation immigrants and beyond are less connected with their ancestors’ culture. – Wise sequoia Jan 16 at 5:40

The term you’re looking for may be acculturation:

ac·cul·tur·a·tion (ə-kŭl′chə-rāshən) n.

  1. The modification of the culture of a group or individual as a result of contact with a different culture.
  2. The process by which the culture of a particular society is instilled in a human from infancy onward.

Another term, less specific to culture, is assimilation.

There are many studies of immigration, acculturation, and how immigrant groups maintain their own cultures and language.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.