In the script of the movie, it is written "your backing" but I cannot hear that! I hear this: "your back". What is that in fact?

The passage of dialog: "Now, with your cooperation and your backing, we can restore Detroit to its former glory."

The link to the mentioned section of the movie: https://youtu.be/fhBZ-Tt57Ig?t=101

  • I’m voting to close this question because it is about identifying whether a word in a particular bit of dialogue sounds like one word ("backing") or another word ("back"). This is not centrally a matter of grammar or usage.
    – Sven Yargs
    Jan 27 '21 at 7:17

Your speaker does say backing but swallows the end of the word!

Remember that Americans often pronounce Rockin' and a Rollin' without the ending 'g'. Brits in popular culture also do it. Elton John did it everywhere, for example in Your Song as this feelin' inside. Also, the Rolling Stones Miss You at 1:20 for "Puerto Rican girls just dyin' to meet you", (pronounced DAHN-ta MEETCH-ya).

So in your film, the speaker drops even more, but he does have a syllable there (more like "BACK-uh").

Since backing is money to back up project plans, a native listener fills in the logical word. You will too.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.