What's the difference between "fluctuate" and "teeter"?

closed as off-topic by AmE speaker, choster, jimm101, Davo, Skooba Nov 2 '17 at 13:26

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.


Fluctuate = vary with time. Think graph, chart.

Teeter: (1) go back and forth (between the same two things/values). Think teeter-totter. (2) be on the verge of something - the current little wiggles/variations are likely to soon change into a huge plummet. Think cartoon character balanced on the edge of the cliff.

  • 1
    Also, "fluctuate" is more formal than "teeter". And to my British ears, "teeter" seems more American. Apart from the phrase "teetering on the brink", I would normally say "wobble" rather than "teeter". – Colin Fine Nov 25 '10 at 11:48
  • Maybe. But I just wouldn't say "teeter". – Colin Fine Nov 26 '10 at 15:38

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.