Let's say, in accounting, a previous spreadsheet that I passed onto my client had a missing record, but in the newest version, I have now included this missing record. How do I phrase this succinctly, perhaps even with one word?

"A revision to the previous version" would suggest a false record was made rather than the omission of a record.

Thank you in advance.

  • If you're talking about a revision of a spreadsheet then I would include the addition of missing records as being in scope for "a revision". Commented Dec 23, 2020 at 10:09
  • The new spreadsheet is the "revised version" (generally neutral but with a slight nuance of an error or omission) - amended (indicates a past omission or error) or updated (generally neutral term) also work.
    – Greybeard
    Commented Dec 23, 2020 at 10:14
  • What about 'modified to the extent that.....' so that it is easier to track which part has been modified...?
    – Ram Pillai
    Commented Dec 23, 2020 at 11:30
  • As the posting guidelines say, this question would benefit from a sentence (or similar context) with a blank you intend to fill, what you want paraphrased, or at least a clearer explanation of exactly what you want. For instance: "Enclosed is the _ spreadsheet" or "I have _ the spreadsheet for you" or "I am performing a process of _ the spreadsheet". There are many ways of explaining the situation, but people don't normally explain things just by writing one word. You can see this in the widely differing answers.
    – Stuart F
    Commented Dec 23, 2020 at 12:00
  • I find "revision", "amended" and "updated" to be not conveying the fact that the amendment was due to omission of info. "modified to the extent that" is more informative though not very succinct. Nonetheless, very grateful for your response Commented Dec 23, 2020 at 12:00

2 Answers 2


I might say that I have rectified an omission.

As an example from the Cambridge dictionary, we have

We have rectified this common omission.

"rectify" often goes with "omission".

  • I find this to be most apt sentence. Thank you Commented Dec 23, 2020 at 11:54
  • No problem, glad to be of assistance! Commented Dec 23, 2020 at 13:14

A very succint way to notify an error, in particular when there are several of them, is to write down an errata section (singular: erratum) or an ADDENDA (singular: addendum) at the end or at the beginning of the document.

ERRATA (from preceding edition)

XXX p. yyy is now WWW
UUU p. VVV is now PPP

  • I was looking for a word or sentence. However, still great to learn of this method of recording amendments. Thank you, LPH Commented Dec 23, 2020 at 11:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.