In skateboarding, a nollie, short for "nose ollie", is an ollie executed at the front of the board while the rider is positioned in his/her natural stance.

Is there a term for those kind of words? Words that are not official English words? Not sure how to describe this and I don't think this is slang.

  • 1
    This may be essentially the same question as one about shwifty which I'm not really convinced should have been closed.
    – Andrew Leach
    Dec 5 '20 at 18:30
  • From your description it’s a portmanteau and also jargon and a neologism. Which type of term were you looking for?
    – Jim
    Dec 5 '20 at 23:13
  • Basically, I'm interested/looking for words that don't "exist" in official dictionaries but they are in use, and also sound nice like nollie. So all those terms are correct I think. Portmanteau and neologism less jargon or slang maybe. I wish there would be a list of all those words but I understand to keep such a list would be impossible. Thank you.
    – tr53
    Dec 7 '20 at 9:02

The word seems to be "jargon"


jargon noun

1 : the technical terminology or characteristic idiom of a special activity or group

sports jargon

Or, in your case, skateboarding jargon.

From Wikipedia

Marnell executes a "switch frontside flip" at the Melbourne Museum location, described as "gnarly" (skateboarding jargon for something that is extraordinarily good ...)

More informally, skateboarding talk/speech/language.

  • Looking at terms mentioned by Jim, I think I'm looking for portmanteau and neologism and less jargon or slang.
    – tr53
    Dec 7 '20 at 9:04
  • Many portmanteau words are acceptable in English: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_portmanteaus, but some have a restricted currency. Those that only some use (a sociolect) are jargon.
    – Greybeard
    Dec 7 '20 at 19:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.