Imagine a piece of paper on which you can draw some "regions". What do you call this act?

These words can probably better tell you what I mean, but I know they don't exist in English:

  • Regionize: I regionized the paper
  • Enregion: I enregioned the paper
  • Region itself as a verb(?): I regioned the paper

In reality, I am a programmer "enregioning" a skin. I would be happier if the verb had clear relation with "region", because that is the technical term I am using for those parts of the skin. That way, the "enregioner" would both have a meaningful name and one that makes users understand it is creating "regions"

  • I have a feeling there is a technical term for what you are referring to as 'regions' of a skin. Will post an answer if I recall it. – Kris Jan 19 '12 at 7:21
  • 2
    Not really appropriate for this site, so I'm not making it an answer, but if you're using this in names or docs inside a program (i.e. not for end user consumption), don't feel bound by normal English usage! Something that isn't a real word but will obviously convey the meaning you want like "regionify" is superior in the programming context to a circumlocution or stretched synonym. I'd even argue that "regionify" would be superior to an adequate term like "partition" if you're using region as a technical term, since "partition" is more general so it tells you less. – Ben Jan 19 '12 at 21:49
  • @Ben, yeah, regionify sounds good! – Shahbaz Jan 20 '12 at 9:52
  • When on subject of verbs for dividing into regions, you may look into a very specific one: Gerrymandering. – SF. Sep 26 '14 at 11:26

The verb I would use is regionalize. This would not refer to a "paper" partitioning, but rather dividing a country on a map for the purposes of say, marketing.

  • '''Regionalize''' is the only real choice if you want to an obvious connection to "region". The definition is "to divide into regions". It has been around since at least the 1920s according to Merriam-Webster Online. It is usually used in the context of creating administrative/marketing regions, although there is no reason it could not be used in other contexts. – Kevin Cathcart Jan 18 '12 at 19:15
  • @KevinCathcart: That is exactly why it is my choice. – Tom Au Jan 18 '12 at 20:00

You may use

I partitioned the paper.


I divided the paper (into segments, sections, regions, etc.)

  • Thanks. Would you please check out my edit? – Shahbaz Jan 18 '12 at 14:16
  • 3
    Your edit doesn't affect the answer. If the Roman empire can partition Spain, you can partition a skin :) – slim Jan 18 '12 at 14:23
  • 1
    @Shahbaz you could decide that the results of the operation are partitions. – slim Jan 18 '12 at 14:31
  • 1
    @Shahbaz: since this is for a program, not for text (an article or paper) you can name it whatever you want. Trying to pin down the exact semantics for a class or function name is commendable but in the end, the class/function will have more in it than is expressible in the name. 'DividingIntoRegions' comes close, modern IDE's have cutandpaste and possibly autosuggest. – Mitch Jan 18 '12 at 14:50
  • 1
    @Shahbaz: skinRegionDivisionBegin/End. A gerund isn't the only or best way to form a noun referring to a process. – Ben Voigt Jan 19 '12 at 5:29

You could partition the item into partitions.

You could segment the item into segments.

You could divide the item into divisions.

You could apportion into portions.

  • You can lot the item into lots, or slice the item into slices. You can sectionalize the item into sections. – MetaEd Jan 18 '12 at 15:15

I would personally use demarcate, I think it's probably closer to what you are looking for


In the context of computer graphics and modeling, terms like mesh generation, mesh triangulation , triangulation, and optimal triangulation are frequently used, and grid generation occasionally. If all the regions on your paper are triangles, triangulation would be a good choice.

  • Since triangulation has another meaning, I think it could be confusing to users. – Julia Jan 18 '12 at 23:50
  • The regions are of arbitrary shape and size, they might not even be continuous. They are defined by the user so non of "triangulation" or "generation" seem appropriate – Shahbaz Jan 19 '12 at 13:21

You may make use of the term "contour" or "contouring"

contour : To make or shape the outline of; represent in contour.


create / establish / designate zone

  • I would avoid "contour" in the poster's context, because in that "mathsy" context, its definition of "A line joining points on a diagram at which some property has the same value" would hold more often. – slim Jan 18 '12 at 14:42
  • contour is vertical, region is horizontal! – Kris Jan 19 '12 at 7:17

Partition or demarcate seem adequate, but if there is more to the resultant program-areas or divisions than mere topography, then allocate might be useful.


You might consider, sectionalize

-·ized·, -·iz·ing

  1. to make sectional

  2. to divide into sections, esp. geographical sections

Webster's New World College Dictionary

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.