Deenroll? Unenroll? I understand words like cancel and resign would work, but is there an appropriate antonym with "enroll" in it?


3 Answers 3


Disenroll, "To cancel enrolment; to remove oneself from a list" may be the word you want.

It is in common use, for example as a bit of legal jargon for leaving an insurance plan:

A member may only disenroll from an MA plan during one of the four election periods noted above. ... When the date of death is unknown, the carrier may take action to disenroll the individual on the date...

  • A perfectly documented answer. +1
    – Irene
    Jan 17, 2012 at 21:03
  • Also, many educational institutions seem to use the term frequently with reference to courses and programs.
    – Kris
    Jan 18, 2012 at 6:29
  • disenroll
    – djvg
    Oct 19, 2020 at 15:58

If you are talking about what to do after you enroll in a class, but want to not be enrolled anymore, then you would


from it.

  • 1
    Another common antonym for schooling in general is drop out (e.g. dropping out of high school), and people will often say they dropped a class in college. These are fairly colloquial, though.
    – Reid
    Jan 18, 2012 at 4:01

Enroll can also be used passively/transitively, e.g. you can be enrolled onto a medical register- in which sense the antonym could be "strike off".

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.