How to write formally and tersely that someone's work is utter nonsense and overly complicated?

  • 1
    You want a single formal word that means "your work is utterly nonsense and overly complicated than it should be"? Oct 28, 2020 at 16:45
  • 2
    What does "overly complicated than it should be" mean?
    – Hot Licks
    Oct 28, 2020 at 17:04
  • 1
    You mean “utter nonsense” (not “utterly”). Utter is an adjective, which modifies a noun. Utterly is an adverb, so it can modify a verb or adjective. You could say something like “utterly appalling,” but not “utterly nonsense.”
    – JLG
    Oct 28, 2020 at 17:04
  • 1
    Please read the Help for this sort of question. Why is "This is utter nonsense and overly complicated" not formal or terse enough? It seems to me it satisfies on both counts.
    – Andrew Leach
    Oct 28, 2020 at 17:08
  • 3
    Don't write it at all. Be kind to your enemies on the way up; you may meet them again on the way down.
    – Anton
    Oct 28, 2020 at 17:24

1 Answer 1


Perhaps the words you're looking for are incoherent and prolix.

  • Thank you. Prolix is close to what I am looking for.
    – learning
    Oct 28, 2020 at 17:53

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.