One of the meanings of aspect, and I believe, one of its more original ones, is the observable or exposed side, or appearance of an object from a specific angle of view. That meaning has tended to wane in common usage but survives in specialized usage, as in the aspect of a building (architecture) or the aspect of a planet (astrology).

I am looking for an antonym of aspect in that sense, as in the parts of an object which are invisible from a specific angle of view. If it exists at all, it might contain the root -spect as well, with an appropriate prefix.

However, I need to use the term figuratively so I'm also open to approximations. For example, the inside of an apparently solid object is invisible from all external angles of view and may possess a name that is analogous (but opposite) to aspect.

  • Since the *spek- part means "to observe" from PIE, it's probably unlikely to have that suffix. See etymonline.com/word/aspect#etymonline_v_17943 Oct 15, 2020 at 9:40
  • Invisible etymologically refers to sight, if only to negate it. However, as I said, -spect doesn't have to be in there; it's just a suggestion.
    – syre
    Oct 15, 2020 at 9:44
  • 1
    Mmm. Unfortunately dispect isn't a real word, as dis- is a possible antonym for ad-. Oct 15, 2020 at 9:45
  • “Unrelated parts”
    – Lawrence
    Oct 15, 2020 at 9:47
  • It would be similar to occult, in its astronomical acceptation.
    – syre
    Oct 15, 2020 at 9:52


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.