I want to describe the action of a person who is fed up with the many compromises he has made and now would like to "remove" these compromises he hates - what is a verb that means "remove compromises"? Abolish?

  • 2
    Do you mean compromises or commitments? (I ask because commitments makes more sense in context, and I know that compromise is a false friend with the word for commitment in at least one major language). – Peter Taylor Jan 16 '12 at 15:38

It is common to say that a person accepts or rejects a compromise. A person who accepts a compromise could later reject it.

"Abolish" is not combined with "compromise" in place of "reject", according to Google Ngram Viewer.


Some potentially relevant collocations are: disavow, repent, repudiate, brook no, reject, and eschew although some of them are admittedly future oriented rather than the backwards looking meaning the question implies.


This question is so broad-based there's no definitive answer. The best I can come up with is...

I'm fed up with always compromising. Henceforth I resolve to be more assertive.

  • I don't think assertiveness and compromise are mutually exclusive. – slim Jan 16 '12 at 17:32
  • @slim: You must have compromise in your blood if you can assert that for the general case! :) – FumbleFingers Jan 16 '12 at 17:39

Remove Compromises.

I don't think there is a word for it. Just invent your own.

  • 2
    Apparently someone has voted against your poster. Understandable, since the posters for compromise are more numerous and better looking. That issue aside, why not add decompromise and uncompromising to your answer instead of saying no words apply? – James Waldby - jwpat7 Jan 16 '12 at 20:05
  • @jwpat7 thanks. Nice poster, lol. but given the OP's question, I don't think uncompromising or decompromise applies in his case. – ApprenticeHacker Jan 17 '12 at 4:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.