I'm translating the agenda of a cosmetology training event, and one line there says:

На одной волне: аппаратные методы в косметологии

In my translation:

On the same wavelength: hardware methods in cosmetology

Apparently this particular presentation will be dedicated to non-invasive methods involving some "wave stumulation" of the skin.

I googled for "hardware methods in cosmetology" and the first results page seems to be filled with Russian sites translated into English, and sites from the former Soviet Union states. I thought that "hardware methods" may be a not particularly "native" term, but a calque from Russian.

Maybe there is term more commonly used by native speakers of English?

  • I don't think this has any relevance to medical sciences. It's simply an English usage question; therefore, I'm migrating it. Commented Oct 7, 2020 at 14:35
  • You live and learn. Cosmetology eh? And coming from the Russian I thought it had something to do with sputniks.
    – David
    Commented Oct 7, 2020 at 16:19

3 Answers 3


I work in a small-town hardware store selling nails over the counter. "Hardware methods" puts me in mind of door-latch testing methods, or hinge design, or perhaps in an electronic context, the physical circuits printed in silicon or on PCBs. I thought at first that you could use "instrument-assisted" or "mechanical" methods. However, the field is not particularly new, and "machine-assisted" seems to be in use already:

Each procedure is accompanied by a presentation of the treatment’s potential and nature to ensure you have all the information you need and create a sense of trust and comfort in the ultramodern machine-assisted procedures. (amberbeautyclub)

This sentence does not make one think of invasive procedures, but there is definitely some instrumentation involved. You could also name the specific kind of machinery:

Sonication is a reliable tool to encapsulate substances in liposomes and to emulsify them into the final product. Click here to read more about the ultrasonically-assisted encapsulation of liposomes! (heilshcher.com)


A more specific English phrase could be something like "skin treatments with devices" or "tools."

I would say the subject of an event is "device-based treatments" (focusing on treatment) or "treatment devices" (if focusing on the devices). This could need some additional description, such as "skin-treatment devices" or "hair-styling devices."

"Device" is a generic word in English; it can refer to a lot of things, as can "hardware." But a piece of "hardware" may not perform any operation, it can have little or no mechanical or electrical action. A "device" implies a piece of equipment that does something -- gives a message, exfoliates the skin, removes hair, and so on.


Apparently this particular presentation will be dedicated to non-invasive methods involving some "wave stumulation" of the skin.

"Non-surgical cosmetic treatment/procedures" gives enough Google hits to persuade me that this is a common term, e.g.

10 New Non-Surgical Beauty Beauty Procedures To Try In 2020

The 5 Most Popular Non-Surgical Cosmetic Procedures

Nonsurgical Cosmetic Procedures for the Face - WebMD

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.