What is a word for a design element which used to have utility but now is used only for aesthetics? Ex: plastic "shutters" around some house windows, rivets on jeans, bead board.


1 Answer 1


The word I was looking for is "skeuomorph".

  • I'll note that Potemkin village is another common term for this, though with a somewhat prejudicial tone. And then there's facade.
    – Hot Licks
    Sep 26, 2020 at 0:23
  • Please add a linked and attributed supporting reference. How idiomatic is this term? Sep 27, 2020 at 18:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.