I don't know a term denoting a microphone usually held on speaker's side of the face. See following image that shows in white:

example image

I googled images pertaining to the types of microphone, but that did not help. It shown me following results, that does not include the thing, of which I want the term.

types of microphone

After encountering such types, I had a doubt, whether the term which I want to know is just "microphone" or not.

Sample sentence can be:

I saw Sandeep Maheshwari giving a comprehensive lecture in front of a large audience via a device held on his face, called a _____ ?


It is a "(flex) mic boom." The tip can be referred to as a "microphone." Though a headset boom is much smaller than a traditional microphone boom, it's still called a boom for some reason.

I am also seeing "wireless headset microphone" as a better description.

The "boom" term seems to be more for wired headsets.

  • 2
    They're not always wireless, but I think "headset microphone" is a good description.
    – nnnnnn
    Sep 25 '20 at 6:38
  • I think technically the boom is just the "arm" portion that positions the mic away from the base. A flex boom is a boom that is flexible. "Headset" is a term for the combination of a microphone and earpieces. The term headworn mic is appropriate for the piece OP is looking for.
    – Jim
    Sep 25 '20 at 14:30
  • Didn't they used to be nicknamed "Madonna mics"? Sep 28 '20 at 10:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.