Something like "IT expert" or "computer expert" seems verbose. Is there something better? I am looking, though, for a word with that (IT/computer expert) meaning. Something like "mechanic", "actor", "designer"... But something general like "geek" is, as opposed to a more narrow meaning word like "developer".

(Before I'm asked why I think it has negative connotations: See Wikipedia on Geek: "with a general pejorative meaning")

  • Do you mean "geek" in general or a specific kind of geek (e.g. an "IT geek" or "computer geek")? Sep 24, 2020 at 13:58
  • @TaliesinMerlin The latter.
    – ispiro
    Sep 24, 2020 at 13:59
  • Computer specialist/guru/expert etc. Sep 24, 2020 at 14:03
  • @DecapitatedSoul That's like the examples I mentioned in my question. I want something more succinct. Like "mechanic" (but for computer experts).
    – ispiro
    Sep 24, 2020 at 14:06
  • @DecapitatedSoul I like "guru": it has stood the test of time and is positive.
    – Greybeard
    Sep 24, 2020 at 14:12

2 Answers 2


You could use computer guru, but if you need a single word, I'd suggest techie.

Techie (noun): Someone who knows a lot about computers or other electronic equipment.

[Cambridge English Dictionary]

Lexico also gives computernik and computer jock for a computer expert/enthusiast.

  • In my experience 'guru' tends to be applied to software and network staff rather than hardware personnel whereas 'geek' is often applied more generally.
    – BoldBen
    Sep 24, 2020 at 23:29
  • Techie is certainly the only single word I can think of that comes close to meaning a computer expert (although as the dictionary says, it could refer to an expert in related fields e.g. electronics). Lots of words for experts, a few words for people involved with computers, but nothing else that means computer expert.
    – Stuart F
    Sep 25, 2020 at 12:15

Perhaps computer aficionado? This lacks the negative connotation, but it may suggest more of a hobbyist than a professional.

  • Yes, as your reference says an aficionado is a person with interest and knowledge, but not necessarily a person who does the thing: you can be an aficionado from your armchair or as a spectator. Likewise, you can have a theoretical or armchair knowledge of computers without ever using one (some Computer Science professors seem to come into this category), but I suspect the OP is wanting someone with practical skills and experience not just knowledge.
    – Stuart F
    Sep 25, 2020 at 12:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.