It is a gate to the yard of the building. (Please correct me if there is a proper way to call the area surrounded by the building.)

enter image description here

  • 2
    I can't see any gate but there could be one out of sight at the back. I would call it an entrance. Commented Sep 15, 2020 at 16:06
  • 1
    ... or entry. But these are very hypernymic terms. Perhaps 'Entry to the courtyard' or even 'tunnel entrance' might be used as attempts to specify, but they're still not precise. Commented Sep 15, 2020 at 16:14
  • 1
    "Porte cochere" is the term sought: a passageway through a building or screen wall designed to let vehicles pass from the street to an interior courtyard. english.stackexchange.com/a/393509/349876
    – LPH
    Commented Sep 15, 2020 at 16:48
  • In Texas, this structure is often referred to as a breezeway, which Merriam-Webster defines as "a roofed often open passage connecting two buildings (as a house and a garage_ or halves of a building."
    – Sven Yargs
    Commented Sep 16, 2020 at 3:43

1 Answer 1


In Scotland such an entrance is termed a pend. It's a useful word that does not seem to have found application the rest of Britain.

"An arch, an archway; an arched or vaulted roof or canopy; the vaulted ground floor of a tower or fortified building; a covered passage or entry; (in later use) especially one leading off a street frontage."

Oxford Lexico

or see Collins

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.