I was wondering for a long while, and I can't seem to find the word.

I'm thinking of the way people, when feeling strong emotion, replace 'r's with 'w's, and generally are clumsy with their pronunciation.

Maybe, as I mentioned above, clumsy with words— but I feel that has another meaning.

I can do well with just explicitly telling them their pronunciation was tumbling all over the place, but I believe in the show don't tell technique and wanna follow it throughout my writing.

Edit: trill?

  • Replacing "r" with "w" has a specific name, a Rhotacism. Is that what you mean, or are you looking for something more general? Commented Aug 19, 2020 at 13:56
  • Rhotacism does sound similar, but I'm not looking for that kind of word. A verb maybe. I apologize if I sound picky by the way.
    – James
    Commented Aug 19, 2020 at 14:02

1 Answer 1


This is called slurring your words:

Slurring your words can be commonly caused by exhaustion or alcohol consumption.

Buoy Health

Or as an adjective:

Slurred speech is a symptom characterized by poor pronunciation of words, mumbling, or a change in speed or rhythm during talking. The medical term for slurred speech is dysarthria.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.