I'm trying to remember a word that means a trait that identifies which side of a cultural divide someone falls on. The word would be used like this:

"They knew I was American when I pronounced 'herb' without the h sound. 'Herb' is a _____ between British and American English."

The word would often be used more locally, as something that someone says that starkly identifies them as belonging to a particular region or culture that otherwise might not be apparent--like saying crawfish vs crawdad, for example.

Thanks for any help!

1 Answer 1


The word you are looking for is likely shibboleth, as explained by Wikipedia:

In modern English, a shibboleth can have a sociological meaning, referring to any in-group word or phrase that can distinguish members from outsiders – even when not used by a hostile other group. It is also sometimes used in a broader sense to mean jargon, the proper use of which identifies speakers as members of a particular group or subculture.

Here’s a similar example:

During World War II, some United States soldiers in the Pacific theater used the word lollapalooza as a shibboleth to challenge unidentified persons, on the premise that Japanese people often pronounce the letter L as R or confuse Rs with Ls.

  • 6
    That's exactly the right word — but note that it might not be very widely understood. Also, that you wouldn't talk of “a shibboleth between” two cultures; you'd probably say e.g. “a shibboleth that distinguishes between” two cultures.
    – gidds
    Aug 3, 2020 at 11:12
  • 1
    See Judges 12:6 in the Bible. biblegateway.com/passage/?search=judges+12&version=ESV
    – aswine
    Aug 3, 2020 at 19:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.