Is the word ‚squints‘ similar to the German word ‚Fachidiot‘?

It‘s often used from Agent Booth (Series Bones) when he speaks about the scientists.

  • 1
    This is not at all a common term in the US. And i have no idea what the German term means. – Hot Licks Aug 2 '20 at 15:31
  • 1
    Fachidiot translates directly as "professional idiots" so it's a distainful term. – KillingTime Aug 2 '20 at 15:44
  • 2
    Does this answer your question? Is there really no English equivalent to German's “Fachidiot”? – FumbleFingers Aug 2 '20 at 16:04
  • On the rare occasion I've seen "squints" in this sense, I've taken it to mean, roughly, "nerds" -- these are the guys that squint at microscopes, wordy text, or complicated computer screens. – Hot Licks Aug 2 '20 at 16:31
  • My working assumption for the usage in "Bones" was that the show-runners wanted an unfamiliar term for Booth to use, so the level of insult (intended or received) remained vague. – user888379 Aug 2 '20 at 16:55