I couldn't find anything in Longman dictionary about this word, but I heard it somewhere which by now I don't remember where and when. What does it mean?


1 Answer 1


It's a board made of cork or similar material to which notices can be pinned.

  • Is it British or American?
    – Alireza
    Commented Jan 10, 2012 at 12:20
  • 1
    @webdesigner: It’s used in Britain, but the earliest recorded use is in the ‘Washington Post’. There is, incidentally, another meaning. It can also be, I now discover, ‘a panel having an array of identical sockets each connected to some of a set of wires, so that inserting a conducting pin into any of the sockets makes an electrical connection between a specific pair or group of wires’ (OED). Commented Jan 10, 2012 at 12:24
  • Most people in the US would call this a bulletin board.
    – user13141
    Commented Jan 10, 2012 at 12:50
  • @Barrie England What do you mean with used in Britain, that other countries don't have pinboards ?About the newly discovered second meaning - is that the old-fashioned board in the movies when they put you through, when the operators usually females make telephone connection? Commented Jan 10, 2012 at 13:19
  • 1
    @speedyGonzales: I mean that even though it's used in Britain, it first appeared in the United States. No, it doesn't sound like a telephone exchange. Commented Jan 10, 2012 at 13:28

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.