I need to describe personality types in the workplace. You get type A personality (perfectionist) and type B (social, enthusiastic).

What do you call the personality type who got a job for political reasons such as nepotism, brownnoser, sucking up but they have no interest in doing their job properly? is there a politically correct/academic/research paper term to call this personality type? I want to say in my company you get type A personality and type ___, the latter has no interest in being a craftsman but just gamified the system for the sake of earning an income. Basically, someone with no skill, no interest in gaining a skill, just have the title.

  • He (and/or his actual job) might be called a seat-warmer. Also time-server - a person who does not work very hard at their job, and who is just waiting until they reach the age at which they can stop work. Commented Jul 24, 2020 at 14:04
  • Verbs for the behaviour type are found at the word or phrase ... to describe doing something merely to pass the criteria in place thread (eg 'going through the motions'). Commented Jul 24, 2020 at 14:09
  • Such people could be called ‘favoured’, as they are given an advantage which is unfair to others. ‘Work-shy’ captures their disinclination to work. Waiting for someone to share a term that covers both attributes.
    – user358018
    Commented Jul 24, 2020 at 14:10
  • Sinecurist? Commented Jul 24, 2020 at 14:16
  • I think it would be hard to come up with a PC term, simply because acknowledging this may be inappropriate.
    – Barmar
    Commented Jul 28, 2020 at 14:03


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.