Is there a word that means “to multiply by 1.5,” or “to increase by 50%?”

I’m familiar with “double,” “triple,” etc. for the first few integers greater than 1. And I assume there isn’t a convention for constructing words for all possible rational multipliers. But 1.5 seems like a sufficiently common case that there might be a special word for it?

  • Is there a single word? Not that I'm aware of. There are several ways of describing it, but they involve more than just one word. Commented Jul 12, 2020 at 16:09
  • There's the single-word decimate, which you could argue means to multiply by 0.9 (or decrease by 10%). But it only works with certain referents, such as populations. Commented Jul 12, 2020 at 16:18
  • 1
    Perhaps three-halves (the same style as three-quarters). When we had half penny coins, the sum was referred to as "three-halfpence" or typically "three-ha'pence". Commented Jul 12, 2020 at 16:28
  • 1
    "Increase by half" is probably the best-understood term for increasing by 50%. Such terms tend to become ambiguous very easily.
    – Hot Licks
    Commented Jul 12, 2020 at 16:32
  • 1
    "Half as much again" is a common idiom but not a single word.
    – Mary
    Commented Jul 12, 2020 at 17:49

1 Answer 1


It doesn’t exist, but you could try inventing something like


Some would quibble, but the prefix sesqui means one-and-a-half, and is used in compound names in chemistry.

Indeed, some have quibbled and suggested the more elegant:




I leave it to the classical scholars and genuine linguists to decide which is preferable.

  • 2
    I would maybe say "sesquate".
    – Hot Licks
    Commented Jul 12, 2020 at 17:32
  • 1
    Or sesquify, perhaps. Commented Jul 12, 2020 at 17:40
  • Wow. Great words. I have a Ph.D. in chemistry and never heard sesqui before. Must have been the wrong kind of chemistry. Inorganic, I presume. I would go with sesquify. +1 Commented Jul 12, 2020 at 21:05
  • @RichardKayser — I have a bachelors degree in chemistry from the ancient times, but remembered sesquihydrates (or perhaps encountered them later in reagent catalogues when I jumped ship and became a molecular biologist). Google autocomplete led me to sesquioxides, which seem to have more fans.
    – David
    Commented Jul 12, 2020 at 21:12
  • Cool. Good stuff. In retrospect, I have heard the term sesquihydrates. Commented Jul 12, 2020 at 21:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.