I am looking for a word or expression (if it exists) describing the movement that a plate makes when you lift from two nearby points of the edge, and then you release one a bit before the other. It looks like a rotation, but it is not.

When this movement is done with the hips, apparently it is called a hip roll: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5Btyc_io4U

However, none of the definitions of "roll", such as "move in a particular direction by turning over and over on an axis" seem to fit the movement I describe.

The closest I can come up is rotational wave but it sounds very technical and I am trying to use this word in a literary context.

  • 1
    If I can offer some clarification, do you mean that the wave is going around the plate though the plate itself is not turning/rotating? I believe Feynman described this as a game people were playing in the cafeteria. He found it had some interesting math behind it.. One term to look up is Precessing as a gyroscope does.
    – Elliot
    Jul 3 '20 at 21:06
  • @Elliot The Feynman anecdote was what immediately came to mind for me as well. Along with precession, nutation might be worth checking out.
    – user888379
    Jul 3 '20 at 21:44
  • 1
    @user888379 Bravo Nutation is the word I could not pull up. As for Feynman, I'm glad for the company. Great minds think alike, stuck here in our basements.
    – Elliot
    Jul 3 '20 at 21:55

I am trying to use this word in a literary context.

The normal verb used for this in everyday conversation is wobble:

1 a : to move or proceed with an irregular rocking or staggering motion or unsteadily and clumsily from side to side
       // The vase wobbled but didn't fall over.
       // The boy was wobbling along on his bicycle.

In terms of what's being described in the question, the following could be used:

After I let go of the plate, it wobbled on the table until finally coming to rest.

From As You Wish by Gabi Stevens:

She expelled her breath, and with the rush of air, the plate wobbled and crashed to the floor.

From Marie Tanglehair by Dorothy Heiderstadt:

The cake plate wobbled, and a lean brown hand caught and steadied it for her.

From The Little Book of Thinking Big by Robert Newton:

In other words, when the plate was spinning slowly the plate wobbled at a rate exactly half of the rotation.

  • +1 That's what I thought too, then I saw you beat me to it :-) Jul 4 '20 at 15:50

I would characterize the motion of the plate as a gyration. From M-W:

gyrate: to oscillate with or as if with a circular or spiral motion

The gyration is damped in that its amplitude decreases every cycle or period. It would work in a literary context.


There is an exact word for this.

Nutation (from Latin nūtātiō, "nodding, swaying") is a rocking, swaying, or nodding motion in the axis of rotation of a largely axially symmetric object.

See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutation

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.