Is there a word for a disease or personality type where a person wants to have problems to gain attention or sympathy. I came across something closer called 'Munchausen Syndrome'. But it is about a person who 'pretends' to have problems, not actually wants to have problems.

Edit: It is not a duplicate of Is there a word for someone who somewhat delights in their illnesses/medications?, because the problems do not necessarily relate to a medical condition. They can be of a financial situation or relationship issues.


That's called Martyr complex in psychology.

In psychology a person who has a martyr complex, sometimes associated with the term victim complex, desires the feeling of being a martyr for their own sake, seeking out suffering or persecution because it either feeds a psychical need or a desire to avoid responsibility. [Wikipedia]

Or try self-pity.

Self-pity is an emotion "directed towards others with the goal of attracting attention, empathy, or help" and one in which the subject feels sorry for (feels pity for) themselves. [Wikipedia]

That kind of person is called self-pitying person.

  • 'Martyr Complex' is a closer word but self-pity is the match for the description. Is there any medical name for 'self-pity'?
    – srand9
    Jul 13 '20 at 10:15
  • 1
    @srand9, I knew a medical term for that.... will have to rack my brain... Jul 13 '20 at 11:55
  • 1
    Munchausen syndrome still applies. Sometimes people with Munchausen syndrome go out of their way to injure themselves because they want attention so badly. But it's Personality Disorder; could be Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder. Jul 13 '20 at 12:01
  • 1
    Munchausen syndrome is actually about a person who 'pretends'. And EUPD or BPD doesn't seem to be correct. I'm actually observing a person who is having the symptoms as in my question. Like, the person is perfectly normal and intelligent in all the situations. But the person is attention-seeking to the level they intentionally take the problems onto them. For example, the mentioned person has an own house, but they want to move to a rented house just to make others think that they are poor and no one is helping them. This is an example and there could be other different situations.
    – srand9
    Jul 14 '20 at 7:03
  • 1
    @srand9, Histrionic: (of behavior) showing a lot of emotion in order to persuade others or attract attention. AND Histrionic personality disorder. I don't think there is a single word for that. Jul 14 '20 at 18:08

If the problems are health related, there is the term "hypochondriac".

Also, "attention seeking behavior" is in established use.

  • Hypochondriac is when a person believes that he has a problem. Also, attention seeking behaviour can be by pretending to have a problem. My request is very specific that the person wants to have problems.
    – srand9
    Jul 2 '20 at 9:00
  • That's quite specific, I can't think of a term like that.
    – Curiosity
    Jul 2 '20 at 10:24

The person in question is affected by “Borderline personality disorder

Borderline personality disorder (BPD), also known as emotionally unstable personality disorder (EUPD), is a mental illness characterized by a long-term pattern of unstable relationships, distorted sense of self, and strong emotional reactions. Individuals often engage in self-harm and other dangerous behavior.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.