Sometimes on tv or while seeing an old video, there are slits on the screen, interrupting the video. It is like static. Is it okay to say “horizontal slits on screen” to describe this type of error? Is it clear?

Here is an example: https://youtu.be/dV-A9BDd1HY (00:46)

This will be very helpful.

  • 5
    Horizontal bars would be more idiomatic.
    – Xanne
    Jun 25 '20 at 5:16
  • 2
    They're not really slits in that they're not holes through to a space behind the picture, they're more a kind of interference on top of the picture.
    – nnnnnn
    Jun 25 '20 at 7:10
  • 2
    I would use 'lines' if they were narrow. Jun 25 '20 at 9:30
  • 1
    @JasonBassford - That's "noise". It likely was present during the taping, possibly resulting from the equipment being jostled when the attempt occurred. You don't see this "artifact" much anymore with digital broadcasts, but it was not at all unusual in 1987 when this event occurred.
    – Hot Licks
    Jul 1 '20 at 1:50
  • 1
    If you want a non-technical term I'd probably go with "streaks" or "streaking".
    – Hot Licks
    Jul 1 '20 at 1:51

They're not slits.

slit - A long narrow cut or opening.

The best answer to your question would account directly for the cause of those markings. Not knowing the cause, I can only supply a couple terms at some remove from specificity.

  1. markings (The most general)

  2. streak - A long thin usu. irregular line or band of contrasting colour.

  • Yes, the key thing about a slit is that it lets something go through, whether light, water, mail, arrows/bullets, etc.
    – Stuart F
    Jul 26 at 13:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.