If two people make eye contact and someone points at something (without speaking) with only their eyes,


Usually we say that the person who is "pointing" with his/her eyes is signaling in that direction (with his/her eyes). For example, "He signaled with his eyes that there were guards standing in the corner".

Other phrases that you could use are, for example:
1. He indicated that ...
2. He gazed to the left to show that ...

Feel free to use any other synonyms that are similar to "signal" or "indicate".

  • Thanks. Just wanted to confirm. So basically, point/signal/indicate and synonyms and we use "with eyes". So there's no alternative singular term, which will take out "with eyes" from the equation, right? – ambuj g May 30 '20 at 23:24

You might also dart a glance at someone or something, meaning that you would look at the subject for a very short time (Macmillan).

  • Or even just glance without the qualification. – Jason Bassford May 31 '20 at 0:53
  • Glance, gaze, and stare are all actions of the eyes without using “eyes.” – Xanne May 31 '20 at 1:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.