The words "okay" and "emcee" seem to both be somewhat widely accepted (at least, I can find both in several dictionaries). But it seems to be agreed that these are simply sounded-out spellings of the initialisms "O.K." and "M.C." respectively.

Are there any other words like this, and is there a general term for them?

  • 3
    I could not find any word for them, but I would like to propose the portmanteau "acronomatopoeia"
    – wim
    Jan 4, 2012 at 4:58

2 Answers 2


There doesn't seem to be an official term for words made by spelling out the name sounds of an initialism's letters. Twelve years ago today, on 2000-01-06, Lee Daniel Quinn suggested calling this type of word a vocologue, but his attempted neologism doesn't seem to have caught on.

I'd like to see a happier fate for wim 9's acronomatopoeia, suggested in the comments above. I like the cleverness of the portmanteau formation, and it can be reasonably-well understood to mean a word formed by the sounds of an initialism's letter names.

I was able to find only the following 9 common examples of acronomatopoeia:

  • Teevee = TV (Television)
  • Emcee= MC (Master of ceremonies)
  • Deejay= DJ (Disk Jockey)
  • Veejay= VJ (video jockey)
  • Jaycee= JC (Junior Chamber of Commerce.)
  • Jayvee= JV (Junior Varsity)
  • Okay = OK (Oll Korrect or Old Kinderhok)
  • Kayo= KO (Knock Out)
  • Arby's = RB's (Raffel Brothers)
  • Queuecee QC (Queen's council = a type of lawyer)
    – mgb
    Jan 4, 2012 at 16:45
  • @MartinBeckett Interesting. I'd never seen or heard that one. Must be BritE, no? So, _Queue_=Q and _cee_=C? Wouldn't just Que do for Q? I goggled it, but couldn't find anything. I'm wondering how you pronounce it. Which syllable is stressed? [CUE see] or [cue SEE] or otherwise?
    – sarah
    Jan 5, 2012 at 8:19
  • @mgb: tongue-in-cheek I imagine, but it would at least assist the apocryphal barrister who proudly signed himself John Smith QC and got a reply addressed to Mr J S Qc. Mar 8, 2012 at 11:52

The only specific wording I have seen for these words are : Plural colloquials

Plural covers the transition from letters to spoken words, and Colloquial covering words appearing out of common use.

Other similarities:

  • DJ deejay
  • MC emcee
  • In American English, jaycee is used for "Junior Chamber of Commerce member".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.