French derivation, I think. At first I thought "parterre" but that's not it. I'm thinking about a window or opening cut into a tall privet hedge, usually made of yew or laurel.

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • Can you provide an image of that 'window cut into a hedge'? – Decapitated Soul May 20 at 22:42
  • I couldn't add a photo but here's a link to one. google.com/… – Susan Wiggs May 21 at 14:32
  • 1
    Good examples of topiary. But the first photo is English Ivy, a vine, so the cutout is really ivy growing on a structure. The ivy is not actually cut out. – Yosef Baskin May 21 at 15:07
  • Window hedge. – Decapitated Soul May 21 at 15:43

How about aperture, which sounds like parterre, but is actually just a fancy word for opening, hole, or gap. From Lexico:

aperture: an opening, hole, or gap


While she was trying to find her way out of the maze, she laid eyes on her soulmate for the first time through an aperture in the privet hedge.

| improve this answer | |

There is this, "The Door in the Hedge". The author might have nonced it somewhere in there.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.