I live in Australia, and I recently had a moment of confusion when talking with someone who had merged the words ball and bowl. They pronounced it something like /bɔl/. They said fall, small, wall, role, and whole all the same way, but said tall with the (in my speech) normal /oː/.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Is it new or have I just completely missed it?


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.