I want to number blocks of texts in my work (parts of a movie script or something the creators said) so that I can refer to them throughout the essay. Is there an equivalent to 'Figure' to label these passages?

  • Paragraph (¶)? Section (§)? Or if you want to keep the movie reference, scene and act.
    – Mr Lister
    May 9, 2020 at 13:13
  • 1
    Right--it is a bit un-classical and perhaps deserves an "-ography" all its own. Social media's intended flattening of all sorts of structures makes it difficult to reference, and it's transitory nature doesn't help; in all seriousness, copying the relevant "chunks" of media and numbering them as "inserts", as LPH suggests (+1), is a very good option.
    – Conrado
    May 9, 2020 at 14:25
  • 1
    You need to determine a suitable word that could refer to parts of both interviews and social media posts, and then just use it. There is no standard. Personally, off the top of my head, I would consider snippet: "a small part, piece, or thing especially : a brief quotable passage." I am not turning this into an answer, because I feel this question can have no answer that isn't just personal opinion. You also haven't made it clear exactly what the size range of these pieces will be, or how they will be presented. May 9, 2020 at 14:42
  • 1
  • 1
    Try inset. Indent that content, style the type differently, even put a border around it. Then caption: Inset 1, Inset 2, etc. When you refer to it: As noted in inset 3, . . . Or skip the word in the caption and just use the number. When you refer to it: As noted in [3], . . . May 9, 2020 at 15:05

3 Answers 3


If they are all pieces of another published work,

See excerpt 6.1 on page 43.

An excerpt in writing is a quoted passage taken from a longer work, such as a book, or poem, or an article. Whatever the subject of your writing or the type of writing you intend to compose, excerpts can be used to 'show' readers what it is you want them to understand and remember about the subject.


(full article requires subscription)


The word "insert" will do.

(SOED) 2. Something set in or inserted. esp. an extra page or pages inserted in a book etc.; a small map, photograph, etc. inserted within the border of a larger one;

Addition so as to dispel the skepticism introduced by user Edwin Ashworth's comment.


enter image description here

  • Thanks, thanks to you, I have found some materials on this topic and it seems like no kind of labeling is established in qualitative research york.ac.uk/inst/spru/pubs/pdf/verbquotresearch.pdf
    – foggy
    May 9, 2020 at 14:33
  • 1
    No it won't. An 'insert' is something that is inserted, not say paragraphs 22 - 37 in Chapter 6 that are already there. May 9, 2020 at 14:45
  • 1
    @EdwinAshworth Not so from the strict point of view of the definition: a small map, photograph, etc. inserted within the border of a larger one; the "etc" includes quite logically the word "page"; a so called minipage in LATEX does correspond to an insert according to the definition of the OED.
    – LPH
    May 9, 2020 at 14:50
  • 2
    There's an overlap. The sections OP wishes to point out might be an insert.* But the paragraphs might also have been highlighted. But that doesn't make 'highlighted sections' a sensible answer here either. [* Then again, they might also be in Swahili. In bold print. In illuminated letters. In invisible ink.} May 9, 2020 at 16:37

How about sidebar? From M-W:

sidebar: a short news story or graphic accompanying and presenting sidelights of a major story

You could number or otherwise label the sidebars for easy reference.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.