In a group call on a Skype or Zoom session, there are these video screens for each person:


What are these video containers called?

  • I don't think there's a specific name for those rectangles. You could call them 'video pop-ups'. Commented May 4, 2020 at 11:52
  • Windows? Viewports? Panes? Commented May 4, 2020 at 12:01
  • Instructions on the Zoom app and on the Owl Labs site refer to shared screens. owllabs.com/offers/zoom-room-setup-guide. Commented May 4, 2020 at 12:39
  • @Snow Are these moving images? My experience of Skype may be limited by our antiquated server environment, but these are always static for me. They move in Zoom.
    – Andrew Leach
    Commented May 4, 2020 at 14:45
  • @AndrewLeach I think they are moving images in the new Skype versions.
    – Snow
    Commented May 4, 2020 at 15:15

2 Answers 2


I have been using Zoom for work reasons almost every day since the middle of March. My initial thought was "frame" or "video frame", but I couldn't find a single reference using that term anywhere on the web.

So I continued searching and finally landed on a page entitled "Glossary of Zoom Terms". https://vtcri.kayako.com/article/160-glossary-of-zoom-terms. It is maintained by Virginia Tech's Fralin Biomedical Research Institute (FBRI). The Glossary had no answer to the question, but the site did offer something called the "FBRI Help Center": https://vtcri.kayako.com.

I provided my email to the Help Center and was able to ask what the video rectangles were called. Within a couple of hours, I received an email with an answer.

Here it is: "Those smaller video screens of your meeting participants are referred to as 'thumbnails.'"

The message was signed by Bradley Anglin, AV Coordinator, VTC Fralin Biomedical Research Institute. I hope that's helpful.

  • Ah, I had forgotten 'thumbnail'. Images and other files in a folder are also called 'thumbnails' (+1) Commented May 4, 2020 at 17:39
  • 4
    Not 'thumbnails' when there are two, each filling half a screen, surely? Commented May 4, 2020 at 17:55
  • In Zoom they are small, even when there are only two. And who says that descriptive terms are always unfailingly accurate? I still call them frames, and most people know what I mean, but the fact remains that "common usage", which is favored by many established users on this site, includes the term "thumbnail". Commented May 4, 2020 at 22:02
  • And computer image thumbnails surely got their name from artist pencil&paper thumbnails. I think those little Zoom things would be called thumbnails, no matter what Mr. Anglin said to call them. Commented May 4, 2020 at 22:34

The best term I can think of is video feed, which is used in Zoom’s documentation:

Show/Hide self view: Show or Hide your video feed on the Zoom Room's display. If video is turned off, this will show or hide your name or profile picture.

See MW’s definition of feed:

the act or process of feeding a signal (such as an audio or video transmission) to a station for broadcast

also: the signal being fed

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.