Sometimes at motels or hotels or apartments, the hallway is on the side of the building with railing. I can't think of the word for this.

If I call it a "hallway," I think it might be visualized incorrectly by those reading.

The closest word I could think was a "landing." Is that right?


1 Answer 1


You could try "walkway". https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/walkway and https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/walkway I'd suggest this as perhaps the best alternative. Speakers of any type of English would surely know what you meant.

Here are suggestions of a few synonyms for walkway: https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/walkway They include "loggia", "gallery", "passageway", and others. I would suggest that they sound a bit more elaborate that what you are describing, and that walkway seems best suited to the use you mention. Of these, I'd say "passageway" would be the best fit, although there's a possibility that it would imply walls on both sides of the passage: https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/passageway

Dictionary definitions of "hallway" suggest that it could fit what you're describing, but you'd clearly need to use the word "outdoor" with it (as you did in your question). https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/hallway

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.