Consider the page Wrexham Glyndŵr University. Why is there a circonflex on the w? Does this exist in Welsh spelling?

  • 5
    This is a forum about English, not Welsh! – Kate Bunting May 1 '20 at 11:03
  • 3
    Welsh is not a dialect of English, either. I suggest this question ought to be closed or removed altogether. – Hack Saw May 1 '20 at 11:23
  • 2
    I’m voting to close this question because it is not about English. – Michael Harvey May 1 '20 at 11:25
  • 1
    The question about whether 'Wrexham Glyndwr University' is acceptable in English articles when referring to what is seen here as 'Wrexham Glyndŵr University' is on-topic, unless it boils down to POB. Nationalism can be tricky, but in England we don't worry too much about our co-fighters against COVID across the Channel calling our capital city Londres. – Edwin Ashworth May 1 '20 at 11:26
  • 2
    It's perfectly reasonable for the English name of an institution (especially based in Wales!) to use the "native" form of a person's name. However, asking about that native language itself is off-topic here. – Andrew Leach May 1 '20 at 11:37

Yes, the circumflex exists in the Welsh spelling:

Circumflex In Welsh :

The circumflex is known as hirnod "long sign" or acen grom "crooked accent", but more usually and colloquially as to bach "little roof".

It lengthens a stressed vowel (a, e, i, o, u, w, y), and is used particularly to differentiate between homographs; e.g. tan and tân, ffon and ffôn, gem and gêm, cyn and cŷn, or gwn and gŵn.

However the circumflex is only required on elongated vowels if the same word exists without the circumflex - "nos" (night), for example, has an elongated "o" sound but a circumflex is not required as the same word with a shortened "o" doesn't exist.

the circumflex,

due to its function as a disambiguating lengthening sign, is used in polysyllabic words with word-final long vowels. The circumflex thus indicates the stressed syllable (which would normally be on the penultimate syllable), since in Welsh, non-stressed vowels may not normally be long.

This happens notably where the singular ends in an a, to, e.g. singular camera, drama, opera, sinema → plural camerâu, dramâu, operâu, sinemâu; however, it also occurs in singular nominal forms, e.g. arwyddocâd; in verbal forms, e.g. deffrônt, cryffânt; etc.


  • 1
    While the question might just be on-topic (should the circumflex be used when referring to say the university in an English article), your answer deals with the requirements when one is using Welsh. – Edwin Ashworth May 1 '20 at 11:22
  • 1
    @EdwinAshworth - I think my answer fits what the OP is asking. And that’s fine for me. – user 66974 May 1 '20 at 11:25
  • 2
    So you'd have been happy about the time a person asked here about the best way to keep a goldfish? Admittedly, they asked the question using the English language. ELU has pretty reasonable regulations: no questions about how to raise animals, construct face-masks, or use Welsh. – Edwin Ashworth May 1 '20 at 11:34
  • @EdwinAshworth - I thought this was a site about the language/s spoken by natives in the UK. – user 66974 May 1 '20 at 11:41
  • 1
    @Hachi - this site is about English language and usage. English is just one of the languages spoken by natives and immigrants in the UK. – Michael Harvey May 1 '20 at 12:08

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.