board It's at the entrance to my apartment. What is this type/style of signage called?

  • 4
    It is called “sign.” - A sign is a piece of wood, metal, or plastic with words or pictures on it. Signs give you information about something, or give you a warning or an instruction. Collins
    – user 66974
    Apr 30, 2020 at 11:51
  • 1
    While that's true, some signs have slightly more specific names, like "nameplate". (Although nameplates usually go on doors or desks; the pictured one is big.)
    – Andrew Leach
    Apr 30, 2020 at 11:55
  • 'Nameboard' might be frowned on by principals as being too down-market. But it is a board with a name on. Apr 30, 2020 at 11:57
  • 2
    As per a quick Google search, these are often called entrance signs or panel signs or, as per @Laurel, monument signs. There doesn't seem to be any standardization. To complicate matters further, each of these types may include signs that serve different purposes. For example, entrance signs may be signs such as the OPs, signs on the doors entering facilities, signs near highway on-ramps, etc. Apr 30, 2020 at 13:00

1 Answer 1


The websites of some companies that sell similar signs (for example one in California and one in Georgia) call them “apartment complex signs”. This makes it clear that it’s for the entire complex and not just a single apartment.

(In addition, this seems to be a “monument sign”.)

  • 1
    By "more specifically" I presume you mean "more generally"? ^_^
    – Robusto
    Apr 30, 2020 at 13:39
  • @Robusto “differently specifically” :p
    – Laurel
    Apr 30, 2020 at 13:49
  • More specific in the world of apartment complex signs; more general in the world of signs in general. May 2, 2020 at 17:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.