I have a problem with the word "content". I wish to describe two mixtures of substances:

  • M1:A with plasticizer B, and
  • M2:A with plasticizer C.

Both mixtures contain a common third component, plasticizer Z.

Can I say "two substances with plasticizer contents of B and Z, and C and Z respectively" to underline that the plasticizers are different?

  • 2
    Please use a complete sentence in the example you ask about; as is, your question is unclear. Unclear questions often are voted down or closed. Commented Dec 31, 2011 at 19:19

3 Answers 3


Your own word, component, seems the best: "...with plasticizer components of B and Z". But this sounds like a technical context (is a plasticizer usually considered part of a mixture?), in which case you're probably better consulting other papers on the subject and following them,.

  • +1 for following what is standard in papers written for the specific field
    – sq33G
    Commented Jan 1, 2012 at 9:26

The phrase as revised,

two substances with plasticizer contents of B and Z, and C and Z respectively

is clear. An alternative might be phrased like

Besides z% of plasticizer Z in each, M1 has x% of X and M2 has y% of Y


Sometimes being too concise makes the reader pause to parse.

Just spell it out: "Mixtures M1:A and M2:A both contain plasticizer Z. Each mixture also contains one additional plasticizer - M1:A contains plasticizer B, and M2:A contains plasticizer C."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.