Lets say I want to tell someone

just spell the word within the "...".

is there an adjective so I can say

Just spell the ... word


  • 3
    The word quoted may be enough. Apr 24, 2020 at 14:06
  • @YosefBaskin: Ah, should I add this sidenote to my OP? That word came into my mind as first thought. But in this specific case I am telling someone something along the lines 'I want you to tell me first something like "its ok for me". So if it is, just quote the ... words.' Here I use the word quoted to tell them to just quote what I wrote there. But the first case when I am doing it is by my understanding not a quotation per se... Or is it? But even then.... "Quote the quoted words!" sounds irritating to me '^.^
    – Zaibis
    Apr 24, 2020 at 14:16
  • So I rather am looking for an adjective describing the syntactical placement of the "", if there is any.
    – Zaibis
    Apr 24, 2020 at 14:19
  • Like in "The paraphrased words".
    – Zaibis
    Apr 24, 2020 at 14:20
  • 2
    'enclosed', 'bounded' Put them in italics and say 'italicised'. Apr 24, 2020 at 14:54

1 Answer 1


You could say "Just spell the given word."

This directs them to the word as a word rather than its meaning.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.