So, yes, I have been losing weight, so far down 4kg and 2 to 3 inches in waist.

I am happy and when I was trying to say to someone that now I can wear my belt tighter, I don't know how to say it because I wonder:

  • Is there a specific name for the holes on the belt?
  • Is there a specific verb for wearing a belt?

In the end, I said "I can now comfortably buckle 2 to 3 holes tighter when wearing my belt."

Sure, it is easy enough to be understood, but is there a better way of expressing that? Also, can I use "buckle" here for belt, in a same sense that it is used in "buckle up" (car seat-belt)? I know the word buckle actually refers to the rectangular metal thing that holds the belt in place, but the best I could think of is "buckle two holes tighter".

  • 1
    Related: Up or down a notch?
    – RegDwigнt
    Dec 29, 2011 at 15:02
  • If you're happy about the situation then be careful to imply that when describing your belt; belt-related idioms in English often imply undesired weight loss. If someone says for instance that their company is "belt-tightening" it usually means that there have been layoffs or a reduction in employee benefits or some other unpleasant cost-cutting measures. Dec 29, 2011 at 16:31

3 Answers 3


Notch is the word you are looking for to refer to holes in the belt. And I think there is no specific word for "wearing a belt", this is correct as per my knowledge. And I tightened my belt after losing some weight. It's similar to "tightening shoe lace".

  • 1
    I have absolutely no idea why the word "notch" didn't come to mind at the time. Thanks.
    – Gapton
    Dec 30, 2011 at 2:35
  • Please be aware that as per my knowledge isn’t “real English”. For details please see the answers to such questions as 1, 2, 3.
    – tchrist
    Jan 11, 2021 at 19:44

I would suggest you say:

Since I lost some weight I've been able to cinch my belt tighter.


Notch refers to the holes in a belt. However, it is the flopper that sticks inside the notch. Hence, I believe the following sentence would be appropriate.

I can now comfortably flopper two to three notches tighter (or down) when wearing a belt.

  • 3
    I would find "I can now wear my belt two or three notches tigher" clearer.
    – Henry
    Dec 29, 2011 at 12:26
  • 3
    Even clearer, in my mind: I can now tighten my belt two or three extra notches.
    – user13141
    Dec 29, 2011 at 14:37
  • 5
    I don't think this definition of flopper is widely understood or used. In fact, the three dictionaries I just checked (dictionary.com, merriam-webster, and wiktionary) do not contain anything resembling this definition. Are you sure you have the right word?
    – Marthaª
    Dec 29, 2011 at 16:12
  • Now that just sounds dirty. Dec 29, 2011 at 16:53
  • Flopper is seldom used. I blame my memory, but I read it in a book as the flopper referring to the stick. But am sure flopper is the word I read, don't remember the book though. Dec 30, 2011 at 5:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.