Am I correct in saying that the verb 'looked' is intransitive in the first phrase, transitive in the second phrase? Is there a name for this type of rhetorical technique playing on the two senses of the verb 'to look'?

  • 3
    It’s called syllepsis but I’m pretty sure this is a duplicate question. – Jim Apr 6 '20 at 17:06
  • I'm not sure it can be a syllepsis if there is no word missing? (Syllepsis: 'a form of ellipsis, and like ellipsis the sense of the word is repeated, but not the word itself.') – cunning linguist Apr 6 '20 at 17:25
  • not sure where you found that def?! lexico.com/en/definition/syllepsis – Jim Apr 6 '20 at 17:31
  • Look is a sense verb, and they are mostly intransitive. The first one is a "flip" verb, with the source of the sensation as subject and the perceiver presupposed (to be me). The second one is a volitional agent verb, with the agent/perceiver as subject. At me is a prepositional phrase, not an object. Though if your theory permits, you can reanalyze the sequence look at as a transitive verb (like listen to, another sense verb). The transitive agentive non-volitional sense verb that corresponds to these two senses of look is see. – John Lawler Apr 6 '20 at 17:31
  • 1
    Does this answer your question? Using verbs with multiple meanings – Robusto Apr 6 '20 at 17:53

Apparently, this is an example of antanaclasis:


The repetition of a word whose meaning changes in the second instance.

[Rhetoric.byu.edu_Figures of Repetition]

John Lawler's analysis (in his comment) can hardly be improved upon, but flip verbs have been covered on several occasions.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.