How would you call the typical background noise in old phonograph records?

How would you call a record that sounds like that?

For an example from YouTube: Billie Holiday, You better go now, 1947

  • That recording is scratchy see 1.2 entry. Mar 20, 2020 at 18:25
  • Either, static, hiss, ticks, clicks, pops depending on the sound. Although hiss is more appropriate for tapes than records.
    – Jim
    Mar 20, 2020 at 18:26
  • A general term might be 'surface noise'. Mar 20, 2020 at 18:29


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.