What adjective would you suggest for the like of someone who consistently has a hard time finishing what s/he has started?

I thought of the word "distracted", but I don't feel it's sufficient to describe the full story.

5 Answers 5


Weak-willed looks appropriate here. Irresolute may also fit. Irresolute is more about changing his mind and not making choices while weak-willed describes literally a lack of will.


Feckless may come close: ‘lacking vigour, energy, or capacity’.

  • Procrastinator, One who procrastinates; one who delays working on things.
  • butterfly, in sense of flitting from flower to flower
  • A dabbler or dilettante need not be a non-finisher, but often may be.
  • A couple of neologisms from tardy (late; overdue or delayed; ineffectual) and dilatory (intentionally delaying ..., intended to cause delay) are the horrid tardian and nicer dilatorian, which may carry a soupçon of humor.

"infirm of purpose"
lacking firmness of will or character or purpose

"infirm of purpose; give me the daggers" - Shakespeare

However, this term may also mean lacking a definite objective or purpose altogether.


The colloquial sticktoitiveness is a good antonym for your situation. So perhaps what you need is "xxx lacks any sticktoitiveness."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.