"Homes of a particular community vandalized by the goons under the support and protection of police."

How can I say this in a better way? The police was with the goons. Goons got full support and protection from police to carry out riot against a community. Homes of a particular community vandalized under/in/with ________ of police.

  • Comments are not for extended discussion; this conversation has been moved to chat.
    – tchrist
    Commented Mar 1, 2020 at 19:39

2 Answers 2


"Connivance", which has more pejorative overtones than some other options, is probably your best bet.


connivance, n.1. a. The action of conniving; the action of winking at, overlooking or ignoring (an offence, fault, etc.); often implying secret sympathy or approval: tacit permission or sanction; encouragement by forbearing to condemn.

1861 "G. Ross W. Bell's Dictionary of the Law of Scotland" (rev. ed.) 297 The husband's connivance in her guilt..is a good defence to the wife against an action of divorce.

"... homes of a particular community vandalized with the connivance of the police."

  • This might be another one of those US/British splits, and I did find some support for your usage, but as I have heard and used the word, connivance is always about petty matters. It wouldn't work at this level of wrong doing. Here is the sort of connivance I am familiar with—was able to sneak out at night with the connivance of a camp counselor. You might connive with your buddy who works at the golf course to let you golf for free in exchange for fixing his car.
    – Phil Sweet
    Commented Feb 26, 2020 at 0:52

"Aegis" I believe is the proper word.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.