I'm looking for a word that roughly means "changing values of a set, but not order". I have been wrongly using "Permutation" or "Permutate", but that means changing the order of a collection, not the values if I'm correct. I'm writing a program that, each loop, changes the values of a collection (according to some rules) and renders the resulting image. What would that action be called?


[1.2, 2.3, 0, 1] -> [1.2, 2.5, 1, 0]

Sample Sentence:

"Each loop, the collection of parameters is xxx and a new image is rendered"

I've tried looking here using "change value of" but haven't really found anything satisfactory. A single word is what I'm looking for...I really hope there is one.

  • 2
    Are the new values calculated from the previous values? If so I'd call that "transformation".
    – nnnnnn
    Feb 13, 2020 at 3:38
  • If not, "insertion", since they come from somewhere else. Feb 13, 2020 at 4:11
  • @nnnnnn not really, I randomize them now. But they don't necessarily have to be randomized...
    – Zorobay
    Feb 13, 2020 at 4:44
  • 1
    Permute is to swap positions; transmute is to change in place. Maybe. Feb 13, 2020 at 5:00
  • in your example how can we tell that you’ve changed the third one to 1 and the fourth one to zero and not swapped the order?
    – Jim
    Feb 13, 2020 at 5:22

1 Answer 1


"Set" normally implies unordered collections.

The parameters are used to apply or map a transformation/function over the values. If the original value is changed, rather than a new one produced, it is mutated.

  • You're right about that. I just used the word to mean a collection of N numbers. Mutated isn't bad...
    – Zorobay
    Feb 13, 2020 at 6:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.