There's the Italian word serramento which means "a window or a door", used in this way for example:

Our company produces [serramenti] in aluminium.

Is there an equivalent word or expression that refers to doors and windows in general in English?

  • 1
    What is an aluminum window? Windowpane?
    – sq33G
    Commented Dec 21, 2011 at 10:21
  • 1
    What is the difference between serramenti and finestra? Commented Dec 21, 2011 at 11:35
  • @MattЭллен finestra = window; serramenti = windows and doors
    – splattne
    Commented Dec 21, 2011 at 11:59
  • @sq33G there are windows made of aluminium, e.g. stegbar.com.au/products/windows_and_doors/aluminium
    – splattne
    Commented Dec 21, 2011 at 12:00
  • 1
    @MattЭллен In Italian you don't use the word when you want to refer to a window or a door specifically. It's like fruit vs. apple and orange.
    – splattne
    Commented Dec 21, 2011 at 12:09

5 Answers 5


It is common to use the phrase 'doors and windows' as a class of objects that is part of a construction (typically part of what is known as joinery and woodwork). This suggests that there is no widely used and understood single word for this purpose.

In certain technical contexts, doors, windows, ventilators, etc., are collectively referred to as 'openings'. (I could say openings increase the cost of a concrete structure.) You will notice that openings could be understood to be framed (in wood, metal, etc.,), rather than just an absence of material.

  • Perhaps combining the two suggestions offered thus far would work: framed openings.
    – user13141
    Commented Dec 21, 2011 at 11:55
  • Yes, to remove all possibility of doubt. However, 'framed openings' is often used only where expressly referring to framed ones and by implication excluding what may be unframed openings.
    – Kris
    Commented Dec 21, 2011 at 12:03
  • @onomatomaniak and Kris: Thank you! I was looking for a good name in English I could use as object/database table name. That seems to fit.
    – splattne
    Commented Dec 21, 2011 at 12:04
  • 1
    Btw, serrare means to close / shut tightly in Italian.
    – splattne
    Commented Dec 21, 2011 at 12:11
  • But a seemingly derived word serration means (something suitable for use in) cutting/ cut-out. An opening is a cut-out.
    – Kris
    Commented Dec 21, 2011 at 12:25

"portal" seems to cover both doors and windows, although only widows that open as opposed to panes of glass that can also be referred to as windows but not portals.

  • This answer has been flagged by the system as a possible Low Quality Post. Where you are suggesting words or phrases you should also provide information about why you are proposing your suggestion. This typically includes links to external sources such as dictionaries and information quoted from those sources (and an accreditation of the source). Can you please add this to your answer to avoid it being deleted?
    – Marv Mills
    Commented Dec 16, 2015 at 13:44

I'd think that ingresses or egresses fit the bill, so long as the windows in question can be used to enter/exit. It is a slightly more narrow definition in that I guess it technically doesn't cover tiny windows or windows that don't open/close, but I've used it myself frequently and people typically understand what I mean.

  • This is not standard usage in this area. Commented May 20, 2022 at 18:31

Perhaps not entirely professional, but I have seen the term Windoors being used in software systems to cover windows, doors, skylight and glass panes. In your case I think the only real solution is to write "windows and doors", because it would otherwise sound unprofessional.

I do agree however, that it would be nice to have a collective term that is more detailed than "openings" (not include e.g. ventilation openings), more collective than "portals" (include e.g. fixed windows) and more professional than "windoors".


Terms used to refer to multiple different types of openings (including doors, windows, and through-holes for piping/ventilation) as found in certain building codes throughout the english-speaking world are "PORT", "PORTAL", "FENESTRA", or "FENESTRATION". Click to see definitions on dictionary.com

  • 1
    Welcome to EL&U, Braeden. Including the definitions in your answer is encouraged. When you do and compare them, what is the best fit for both windows and doors? I do hope you take a moment to edit and see the help center.
    – livresque
    Commented May 18, 2022 at 0:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.