I want to translate a Russian fairy tale. There is a "device" I need an equivalent for. In Russian it is called "ухват" (uhvat), and it is used to put pots on the coals/into the oven. Is there anything alike in English? (The Google's "grip" doesn't fit).

  • 4
    We need a full description please before we have any hope of naming it. A picture would be excellent. Does it clip onto the pot or pan? Is it cast iron or wood? Is it long for leverage like a handle? – Orbital Aussie Jan 15 at 11:13
  • 1
    On an open fire it might be a gridiron or potstand or grating. In an oven, oven shelf. – High Performance Mark Jan 15 at 11:16

According to this, it translates to an "oven fork". I did an image search for "ухват" and then for "oven fork" and some of the same images appeared in both as you can see here and here, respectively.

For the benefit of the people asking for a photo in the comments, here it is:

enter image description here

| improve this answer | |
  • I imagine for most readers “oven hook” would be more intelligible even if “oven fork” is historically idiomatic – Unrelated Jan 15 at 13:52

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.