I went to an American School, and whenever I used Br English, it was wrong. But say I traveled to Britain with those as my schooling verification? Would I be wrong?

  • 4
    There's nothing wrong with being fluent in a foreign language. – Phil Sweet Jan 14 at 11:47
  • I know, but english is one language. So why are there two forms? – Coding4el Jan 14 at 11:50
  • 'English is one language' is a misapprehension, an unhelpfully broad-brush notion. Consider 'Cereals are all one type of plant'. When in Rome, [speak Roman English]. – Edwin Ashworth Jan 14 at 14:04
  • 5
    @Coding4el There are many more than two forms of English. – choster Jan 14 at 15:33
  • 1
    It is rather puzzling what you mean by 'whenever I used Br English, it was wrong'. I would hope that educated people in the U.S. would be sufficiently familiar with British English not to dismiss it as wrong. (Of course, it wold be a mistake to use colloquial British English in a formal educational setting in the U.S., but that would be because of its being colloquial, not because of its being British.) – jsw29 Jan 14 at 17:18

Many aspects of British and American English evolved differently, before the development of international media, because of the geographical separation between the two populations.

Today most British people are used to watching American films etc. If you come to the UK speaking American English, people will understand you perfectly well (apart from the occasional word which may cause puzzlement or amusement). However, if you were here for some time and needed to do any formal writing, it would be better to learn British spelling and vocabulary.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.