What is the word for "saying a lot but unable to make a point or deliberately refrain from making a point"?


Depending how forcefully the person is speaking, chooose from these (Cambridge Dictionary)...

- to speak in a loud, angry, or offended way, usually with little effect

- to talk or write a lot without giving any useful information or any clear answers

  • or possibly filibuster too, although that's more about time wasting I suppose.
    – Smock
    Jan 9 '20 at 13:28
  • Also, filibuster is rarely used outside of the context of wasting parliamentary debate time (though perhaps it turns up sometimes as a "malapropism" for phonetically similar bluster). Jan 9 '20 at 14:33
  • Which could fit the OP if they are doing it in a debate.
    – Smock
    Jan 9 '20 at 14:41
  • That's an interesting point. I'm not sure I could endorse using the word filibuster in the context of an actual "debate" (such as might take place in a school or university, for example). To me mind, it's only really a "natural" choice when the purpose of the time-wasting tactic is to delay or prevent a legislative assembly from actually voting to pass a bill. Maybe some people would also use it where the purpose is to "hog" the allocated debate time (and thus prevent the other side from presenting their arguments), but that wouldn't really work for me. Jan 9 '20 at 14:51
  • 1
    Yep, I totally agree with that! It definitely doesn't warrant an edit to include it in the answer - it only works in a very small context as you say.
    – Smock
    Jan 10 '20 at 10:03

You might also consider bloviate

Define by Oxford as:

to talk or write in a way that shows that you think you know a lot and have something important to say, when in fact you do not know much and have nothing important to say