Well, the title question says it all I think:

A footnote refers to the wrong document - what is a word to describe this kind of mistake?

Words like "discrepancy", "incongruence", "fallacy", or simply "mistake" may be fine, but I am presuming this specific kind of error has its own terminology.

  • 3
    – Robusto
    Dec 27, 2019 at 17:53
  • Screw-up, perhaps?
    – Hot Licks
    Dec 27, 2019 at 19:50
  • I agree, but I have to write this down for s serious-type person.
    – Notabot
    Dec 27, 2019 at 21:47

1 Answer 1


Mistake is fine, but typographical error. might be better:

a mistake (such as a misspelled word) in typed or printed text

This makes it clear that it's likely a mistake as a result of writing the information down, rather than with methodology, or logic, or something else.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.