Just before Christmas or New Years (and maybe some other holidays), companies organise a party for their workers. What do you call a thing like that?

In Russia it is so common that they have a special word for that. Sounds totally like a loanword from English — ‘Korporativ’ (noun) — because the Russian words don't have this word-formation, we don't even use the root ‘corporate’ unless it's very business-y.

Why I am asking this is because I can't look it up in a dictionary, that word 'korporativ' is not in dictionaries yet. And I hope it won't be. But really for now there is no other proper way to call a party like that.

PS Not necessarily a Single word

  • 2
    holiday party, Christmas party, company party, work holiday party, holiday event. I could use corporate party in a pinch, but I really would not. (It might be the case the only reason "Corporate Party" is in my vocabulary at all is that it's a feature in "Spyfall", the card game created by Ukrainian game designer Alexandr Ushan.) Dec 27, 2019 at 6:54

1 Answer 1


Office party, work party, or even work's "do"...to add to the list given by Mike Graham.

A corporate event isn't likely to be one put on for employees. It's more likely to be for clients or for a specific business purpose like the launch of a new product. For example, corporate hospitality at a sporting or cultural event.

  • 1
    Yeah, "office party" would be most common in the US, for office workers. I'm not aware of a strongly favored term for parties for, eg, factory workers or truck drivers, though "company party" is likely used.
    – Hot Licks
    Dec 27, 2019 at 13:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.