There are thermal power stations that generate both electricity and heat which is used for heating residential houses close to it.

There are quite a few such power plants in, among others, Russia, Ukraine (both links in Russian), and (to a lesser extent) Germany:

What do you call such power plant in English?

Sample sentence

Contrary to a thermal power plant, a <BLANK> generates not only electricity, but also provides heating for houses in its vicinity.

<BLANK> is the word I am looking for.

What I could find on my own

In a Wikipedia article on district heating I found the term combined heat and power plant. What I find a little confusing is that it links to an article about cogeneration which, at a first glance, looks like some modern, fancy innovation. This is definitely not true for such power plants in the ex-USSR because they have been there for decades.

According to Google NGram this term is used relatively rarely:

Word frequency diagram from Google NGram

  • What is considered an innovation depends more on the scope of the innovation’s context: recovering “waste” heat is unusual in some places’ power industry, so getting it to be accepted is an innovation on a more local scale, especially if it was not learned from a foreign power industry where it is already common.
    – Robin
    Commented Dec 24, 2019 at 18:00

1 Answer 1


The process is called cogeneration.

The plants are called CHP (Combined heat and power ) plants.

From Wikipedia:

Combined heat and power (CHP) plants recover otherwise wasted thermal energy for heating. This is also called combined heat and power district heating. Small CHP plants are an example of decentralized energy. ... The resulting low-temperature waste heat is then used for water or space heating.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.